[CinCV TNG] The state of dynamic builds of cinelerra CV and GG

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sat Dec 29 20:51:11 CET 2018

Hey all,

I'm currently maintaining cinelerra-cv [1] for Arch Linux.
However, due to high maintenance costs (of my time) to create a working,
dynamically linked package, I will drop it from the official
repositories.
The list of patches to re-adapt is becoming longer and longer and
unfeasible to work with (and currently it doesn't work at all, because of
ffmpeg > 4 not being supported [2]).
As I'm neither an active user of cinelerra-cv, nor interested in further
spending more time on fixing a non-supported way of building the
software, I have to say, this is it.

For the future I'd like to give the advice of making it easier for
package maintainers of the various distributions to actually build
cinelerra with dynamically linked dependencies, as in its current state
it is really no fun at all.

Best,
David

[1] https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/cinelerra-cv