[CinCV TNG] Video and preview rendering with GPU. VAAPI/VDPAU support?

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 17:33:13 CEST 2018

KhazAkar, some feedback below, mostly reflecting my opinion !!

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 2:14 AM, KhazAkar <damianzrb at gmail.com> wrote:

> From what I found, only PiTiVI open source NLE on Linux support
> VAAPI/VDPAU for playback only, but they have much less other functionality.
> I think if Cinellera adopt VAAPI/VDPAU for playback AND video rendering, it
> will just rocket-jump ahead of other competitors on Linux

NLEs are like different brands of transportation or different operating
systems.  Depending on your needs, you may drive a Ford truck, a KIA car, a
BMW and so on.  It is good to have a variety of NLEs for competition and
preferences.   PiTiVI is a respectable NLE suited to a lot of people and
purposes and if you really want to take advantage of VAAPI/VDPAU, that is a
very good choice.

Will be support for It in near/distant future? It don't need to use
> GStreamer, because FFmpeg itself have VAAPI/VDPAU decoding and encoding
> capabilities. If testers is needed - I will test it.
>
> It is possible, but not probable that VAAPI/VDPAU would be added to cin5
if another programmer/developer would like to add that. Currently only 1
full time programmer is working with a lot of good testers who provide
feedback and some versatile users who help in more computer/distro oriented
areas.  GG is not educated on this and at this time has so many more tasks
that take all of his time.  This does sound like it would be an option
better suited for a commercial NLE as opposed to cinelerra which is more
geared toward hobbyists.

As always, that could change - just like the number of characters allowed
for the Titler will eventually.    Phyllis