[CinCV TNG] Clips and Proxy

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 17:26:52 CEST 2018

OK, there is a Mint 18 static build which also has other new modifications
in it besides the fix.  This includes an updated JPEG library and updated
lib265 so back up your work in case of new problems.  Tar file is at:

https://cinelerra-cv.org/five/beghetto/cinelerra-5.1-mint18-x86_64-static.txz

The difference between static and dynamic is:

"In *static* linking, functions and variables which are defined in external
library files are linked inside your executable. That means that the code
is actually linked against your code when compiling/linking.

With *dynamic* linking external functions that you use in your software are
not linked against your executable. Instead they reside in a external
library files which are only referenced by your software. Ie: the
compiler/linker instructs the software on where to find the used functions."

There are different viewpoints on which is best, but for Cinelerra GG
recommends the static tar since it provides self-contained software that is
the easiest to debug if it crashes.  Using the tar instead of the pkg seems
easier to me because you end up with all of the software in a single
directory - easy to find, easy to delete, easy to keep a previous
version.   gg/phyllis