[CinCV TNG] CGG h264 video not playing on Android devices

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 22:42:47 CEST 2018

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 8:42 AM, d quinton <quinton.dv at zoho.com> wrote:

> I'm finding that video made with Cin, rendered with ffmpeg/mp4/h264 are
> not playing on Android devices (except by instaling VLC which is a
> hassle).
> Only the audio plays.
>

> Anything that I can tweak in render settings to fix this?

It looks like the Android is pretty specific about which mp4-s it will play
as quoted from the web below:

"As we all know, Android does announce that MP4 is one of Android
compatible formats. However, people still encounter the issue of Android
won't play MP4. Why? The reason is MP4 is a container format which  means
this format may contain various kinds of audio and video codecs  while
Android is only compatible with MP4 encoded with MPEG-4 or H.264  AVC."

The specific settings that GG just tested this on are:

0) load your media, add auto-scale plugin if needed.
1) Settings->Format, click on down arrow next to width and choose HD
(1280x720) (although others may work) and in his case the frame rate was
already 29.970 and color model of RGBA-8 Bit .
2) In the Render Menu, choose File Format: FFMPEG and mp4 .
    Audio wrench: h264.mp4
    Video wrench: h264.mp4 AND this is important too, change Pixels from
the usually default yuv444p to yuv420p.  He is
                          going to "fix this" because right now it puts the
Pixels default in as the best quality and this might not work.

We tested this resulting mp4 file on an older Android tablet and both audio
and video worked.  Let us know if you use the above suggestions and it does
or does not work for you because we do not have a newer Android device or
phone to test on.
We used a samsung Pixel C, using android 8.1.0

> Is it my ffmpeg in need of upgrade?
>
> Our test was created using a later version of cin5 and ffmpeg 4.0
BUT that should not make any difference.  Also, below is the output of
mediainfo of the file we created/tested.

General
Complete name                            : savebs.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 18.6 MiB
Duration                                 : 1 min 30 s
Overall bit rate                         : 1 727 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.12.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High at L3.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames               : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 1 min 30 s
Bit rate                                 : 1 591 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2
Original display aspect ratio            : 3:2
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.058
Stream size                              : 17.2 MiB (92%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 155
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0
/ analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 /
mixed_ref=1 e_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 /
deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=22 /
lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_tads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 /
bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1
/ b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / n_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=25 /
keyint_min=13 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=25 / rc=crf /
mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qx=69 / qpstep=4 /
ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Duration                                 : 1 min 30 s
Duration_LastFrame                       : -17 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 128 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.39 MiB (7%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1