[CinCV TNG] Audio VST plugins

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 19:17:12 CEST 2018

OLAF: some feedback and a patch for your SWH (Steve Harris) LV2 plugins
such as the bandpass in the dmp you sent:
  <signal handler called> () at /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0
  #3  0x00007fd35cd21dbc in  () at
/usr/lib/lv2/bandpass_a_iir-swh.lv2/plugin-linux.so

We loaded those LV2 plugins onto his development computer, found the
following in the README, and made a patch:

> This is an early experimental port of my LADSPA plugins to the LV2
> specification, c.f. http://lv2plug.in/ . It's still quite early days, but
> most
> things should work as well or not as they did in LADSPA.

A patch to Cinelerra to guard against a zero value incorrectly passed by
balance.c was checked into cin5 yesterday:

> The message is related to: http://gareus.org/oss/lv2/balance
> Balace is an otherwise fully functional plugin (jalv.gtk or jalv.gtk
> --control bypass=1).

The original goal was to only have the Calf LV2 plugins tested and had no
plans to debug the hundreds of LV2 plugins that may already be present on
every person's / every distro's system - that is not even practical.  BIG
WARNING - if you run cin5 and use other libraries and those libraries
crash, you could lose work so have to be prepared at any time for that to
happen.  You can work around any LV2 plugins that may have bugs in them by
setting LV2_PATH={directory of "good" LV2 plugins}.  So:

> Quote from gg: I have only tried "calf" so far.  There are a bunch of them.

After gg gets new code going and initially tested, he moves it to my laptop
for me to test but after 2 years of doing so, I am still really new at it
so the tests I do may be lame or I don't even know how to test.  And we
have found that "real" users do things differently than we do (we are
computer people, not video-philes or audio-philes).

> Somehow I don't like the fact that Cinelerra leaves any peculiarity or
> test to the user. But I'm sure that will change, won't it?
>
> We have a choice -- either stop and test every single change for 4 weeks,
or continue to modernize Cinelerra by adding missing or requested new
features.  I think when the code is up to current capabilities, there will
be nothing left to do but test and so "that will change!"  However, we
absolutely make sure that any bugs or segv's that can be reproduced here
are fixed as quickly as possible.

gg/Phyllis

== build
cd <bld-path>
rm -rf swh-lv2
git clone https://github.com/moddevices/swh-lv2.git
cd swh-lv2
git apply < lv2_swh.patch
make clean
make -j10 CFLAGS=-ggdb
rm -rf ./usr
make install-system INSTALL_DIR=`pwd`/usr/local/lv2
LV2_PATH=`pwd`/usr/local/lv2 gdb <cin-path>/cin

PS. only a few seem to work.