[CinCV TNG] Audio VST plugins

Sam cinelerra at posteo.de
Tue May 8 20:41:54 CEST 2018

Thanks for the explanation. I think Cinelerra will gain even more
popularity. Cinelerra has not had the best reputation in the past, but
the constant improvements have finally made it better known that it is
making a seriously positive development. Maybe this will lead to some
developers in the future. Especially when the new, more modern user
interface is ready. The new user interface looks really good.
Unfortunately it takes much longer than planned, because there are
extremely many pictures.

I wouldn't develop a rudimentary GUI, that takes a lot of time again. I
might have a better suggestion. Especially for LV2 I would create an
interface to Jack Audio Server. This means to forward the audio output
from Cinelerra to Jack. I think that would work already, because in the
audio settings there is the option to send the audio output to OSS. The
Jack server can pick up this output and forward it to the Calf plugins.
By Calf Plugin I mean the external Calf Jack Host. I can forward a
Cinelerra audio track to the external Calf plugin and listen to it.
Change it with this external calf plugin. As far as I have seen this
external Calf plugin saves the values as XML file even with the correct
name of the respective Calf plugin, for example Calf Compressor plugin.
The Cinelerra Calf plugin could pick up these values. I don't know if it
would even be possible to directly synchronize the Cinelerra Calf
plugins with the external Calf plugins via the Jack Audio Server. I
would recommend creating an interface to Jack in the future anyway. This
gives us undreamt-of new opportunities in the future. We could probably
even connect Ardour about it. As an example, each Cinelerra audio
channel could optionally be opened as a midi channel to the Jack server.
This solution would have the advantage to connect the plugins only with
the external programs, thus no own GUI's have to be programmed for the
plugins. The Calf Jack Host GUI looks absolutely great.
I hope I'm not talking nonsense.

With the tool Cadence you even get a graphical setting possibility of
the Jack Server.

Here are a few links:
Jack - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit
Jack - Homepage: http://jackaudio.org