[CinCV TNG] [impr] context menu for single clips

Sam cinelerra at posteo.de
Fri May 4 21:21:46 CEST 2018

After felt hundreds of improvements for Cinlerra I have to admit, the
software is already really good, but there is one thing that still
bothers me. Compared to 90% of other video editing software, Cinelerra
has one major shortcoming. That I can't select individual video or audio
pieces in the timeline with a single mouse click. In Kdenlive/Premiere
etc. I click on a video clip in the timeline and this video clip is then
marked with a red frame. If I now press the delete button, only this
clip will be deleted. A right click on this red marked clip shows me a
context menu, which gives me several additional options. It bothers me
that every time I have to lock the other video tracks to work
undisturbed in one track, when I switch tracks I have to unlock the
other tracks again and lock the current one. This feature is good, but
not enough to allow fast intuitive working. It would be great if there
could be an alignment of this elementary important feature to the other
video editing software, because it is quasi standard in the other
editing programs.

What I noticed is that when I move a video clip in the timeline (in
Cinelerra), it automatically creates a colored frame. It would be
desirable if this frame were activated with a single left click and thus
a context menu would also be available with a right click.
I know Cinelerra works a little different than the other video editing
software and it's probably a lot of work, but I think the effort would
be worth it, because it gives us completely new possibilities and the
handling should be known and intuitive and is actually standard.
I added a video of Kdenlive to show what I mean by that. The context
menu certainly does not have to be as extensive as Kdenlive's, but a
simple menu would be helpful.

https://streamable.com/u84ng