[CinCV TNG] ffmpeg 4.0

igor_ubuntu sitelve at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 18:35:19 CEST 2018

> Hey all,
> I'm currently maintaining cinelerra-cv for Arch Linux and we have the
> switch to ffmpeg 4.0 coming up.

Cinelerra (all branches) uses its own internal ffmpeg.

> However, cinelerra-cv doesn't play too nice with newer versions of
> ffmpeg [1]

CinCV in Arch's/Manjaro's repos is compiled with external_ffmpeg.
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/cinelerra-cv

At the moment, Cin-CV (the official branch) can be built only with internal
ffmpeg.
*'--with-external-ffmpeg' * is currently unsupported.
CinCV does not support any tweaks for external_ffmpeg that were created by
maintainers.

and I was wondering, what your current roadmap for support of
> ffmpeg 4.0 is.

Quote:

*Einar R√ľnkaru has made big progress in removing the very outdated
quicktime library from Cinelerra-CVE.
https://git.cinelerra-cv.org/gitweb?p=einar/cinelerra.git;a=summary
<https://git.cinelerra-cv.org/gitweb?p=einar/cinelerra.git;a=summary>This
is a neccessary step for improving Cinelerra-CV in the future.*

Final destination is:
a) Link system-based ffmpeg.
b) Optionally configure can clone ffmpeg from ffmpeg.org

> Maybe it's also time to switch to cinelerra-gg (probably a little more
> suited for a rolling release distro)?

Your choice - you are a maintainer.

Any input is very much appreciated.

These branches, in addition to a functional, different from each other and
a personal set of bugs.
Some functions and plugins that do not work properly/are broken in CGG work
in CVO or HV and vice versa.
The presence of several branches allowes a user to flexibly switch between
branches and continue to work in the program.
A user can have all the branches in one system without any compatibility
issues.

Igor