[CinCV TNG] [impr] proxy file deletion

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 23:55:16 CEST 2018

The following note in Features5.pdf was quite misleading:

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Olaf <cinmail at womentie.de> wrote:

> A small but not unimportant note to the manual, Features5, 41.3 Proxy
> Settings, p. 173:
>
> > "Working with videos that have large image geometry can greatly impede
> editing. Optionally, you can substitute “proxies”, which will create
> smaller video image files from the original file that can be edited more
> quickly. When the results are complete, the proxy video file can be removed
> from the project, and the original replaced. … As usual, you can delete
> proxy files from the project or disk in the Resources window."
>
> It's not that simple. If the proxies are manually removed (delete) from
>> the resources, the original tracks are not reused and the timeline remains
>> empty. The only viable way is to reset the proxy settings to their original
>> size.
>

> *I have corrected this and made it clear right up top and it will now
read:*

Working with videos that have large image geometry can greatly impede
editing. Instead you can substitute “proxies” which will create smaller
video image files from the original file, which can then be edited more
quickly.* When you are done working on this smaller scale, you will need to
bring up the Proxy settings menu again, and change the Scale factor back up
to Original size so that all of your edits/work take affect on that
original higher quality video on the timeline.*

> The disadvantage here is, the proxies are no longer visible in the
> resources but still present.

Many users will want to retain the proxies to use again automatically and
will not want to delete them from the project area.  It is still mentioned
further down that you can delete these from the proxy resources but I
probably should have left this out -- it just came in handy for me
personally while doing extensive testing initially.

Thanks to Olaf for taking the time to get this fixed to avoid confusing
others...  Phyllis

(P.S. getting behind, but will address snap/grab location and New Project
suggestion soon.)