[CinCV TNG] Cinelerra crash video

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 22:12:40 CEST 2018

The video .mp4 file you emailed was so helpful in finding a bug and we
could not have fixed it without your help.

Cinelerra allows you to hold down a key as long as you want.  But that does
not necessarily mean that you should because there is a limit for "undo" of
256.  The blade cut is just 1 undo on the stack but the shift+space inserts
a single frame so that holding it down can easily add 50+ undo-s to the
stack.  In case you make a mistake, like a highlighted section cut a while
back, you may not be able to undo that if you have since inserted a lot of
silence, each of which counts towards the 256 limitation.  So you might
want to instead temporarily turn off drag mode and switch to cut and paste
mode, highlight an area as big as you want, then Shift+Space to insert a
large section of silence -- this only counts as one undo then.

But cinelerra should not have crashed and GG has added a fix which I have
been testing this afternoon and it no longer crashes.  If you would like a
new build with this fix in and you do not do your own builds, please send
email of exactly which tar or pkg you use and we can create that same one
for you to make sure it no longer crashes.

As far as we know, you are the first person to hit the 256 limit !! and we
enjoyed seeing the creative use of single frame insert silence that we
never considered using in that manner.   GG/Phyllis