[CinCV TNG] Fwd: CinGG crash at playing avi file

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 17:08:55 CEST 2018

I cannot reproduce the failure here and GG looked at the dump and did not
find any potential cause.  I must be doing something different - I tested
with 3 avi files I had hanging around and the first 6 files from:

https://samples.mplayerhq.hu/avi/

I will download a few more and test but If can not reproduce then if
possible could you?

  run with 2-audio-streams.avi from the example set
  save the session file with that file loaded right before
  you play and it crashes so we can see what your setup is.
  and keyin:  aplay -L
    to show the results of your Alsa setup

Tips:
  check the Settings->Preferences->Playback A/B->Audio Driver configuration.
  be sure the sound device driver can support the Playback buffer size
  check the Driver setup (Alsa) and be sure the Device can work with aplay.
  Please try starting the session from a console terminal, so that any
printed
  output is not missed.  The program can be started with "/path/cin" where
path
  is usually, /usr/bin or auser install path like: /opt/cin/

Dump analysis, short form:

The segv occurs in tid: 30103
Thread 49 (Thread 0xd84ffb40 (LWP 30103)):
#0  0xf78b6c91 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x086b2f00 in ?? ()
#2  <signal handler called>
#3  0xf76f58b9 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libasound.so.2
#4  0xf76cf78a in snd_pcm_wait () from /usr/lib/libasound.so.2
#5  0x0835660b in AudioALSA::write_buffer(char*, int) ()

The failing code is in alsa, and not cinelerra.  That does not excuse
cinelerra, it
just makes finding the cause more diffcult.  Usually the problems are
application
code failures, not system library code failures.

The trap occurs inside a call to snd_pcm_wait.  This interface requires only
an audio device handle as a parameter.  It waits for the buffer to play.
If this fails, it may be because the device is somehow closed out from under
the playing audio.  That is weird.

GG/Phyllis (written by both)