[CinCV TNG] [bug] nested clip

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 22:22:49 CEST 2018

A little late reply is below.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 7:23 AM, Sam <cinelerra at posteo.de> wrote:

> 1. I have a question. When a nested clip is created, then I see this
> nested clip in the Media tab too. If I make the clip" UnNest", is the clip
> in the Media tab still a nested clip? Can I work with these nested clips
> (Media tab) as well as with the clips from the tab clips? Are there
> differences?

Yes, you can work with them.  Cinelerra likes to make copies of EDLs
frequently.  The clip in the Media tab is a copy as an asset and therefore
still a nested clip.  You can still work with the nested clips in Media BUT
they may be a little slower because nested edl is rendered, and asset media
is decoded.  The render operation does decoding, and then the render
stack.  This can be compute intensive.

The big difference between clips and nested assets is that when you paste a
clip, the original edl stack is pasted into the timeline.  The plugins and
keyframes are still visible and usable.  Once the clip is nested, the paste
looks like media, with no keyframes or plugin stack.  The icon in the
resource window which is the nested clip is the nested edl asset, and is
the object in use when you paste a nested asset.  The clip edl is a
vertical slice of the timeline, and is not an asset, but is a set of edits.

> 2. Would it be possible to create the nested clips in the tab Media with
> thumbnails? Then the behavior remains consistent throughout.

It slows things down every time cinelerra has to make thumbnails.  If you
think it is a gain, I'll look into it.
gg/pys