[CinCV TNG] Cinelerra-cv online manual - small correction about ALSA

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 04:22:55 CEST 2017

I was looking at manual available at
https://cinelerra-cv.org/docs/split_manual_en/cinelerra_cv_manual_en_toc.html#SEC_Contents
and found something I think is error:

"3.2.4 Alsa
ALSA is the most common sound driver in GNU/Linux 2.6. It supports most of
soundcards now. It takes advantage of low latency features in GNU/Linux 2.6 to
get better performance than OSS had in 2.4, but roughly the same performance
that OSS had in 2.0. Unfortunately ALSA is constantly changing. A program which
works with it one day may not the next day. New wrappers are being developed on
top of ALSA. We plan to support them at regular intervals, though not at every
new release of a new wrapper.
 ALSA is no longer portable between i386 and x86_64. If an i386 binary tries to
play back on an x86_64 kernel, it will crash. For this scenario, use OSS"

I use 32 bit Cinelerra (both GG and -CV) on top of x86-64 kernel, alongside with
xmms and seamonkey and mplayer - they all  use alsa output and it works fine.

Also, subtitle editor recommended at section 21.13 Adding subtitles seems to be
moved, but I can't access its homepage for now, only archived version:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160406083027/http://home.gna.org:80/subtitleeditor/

Some info in manual probably obsoleted (like information about tuning/hacking
2.4 kernel) - should it be marked as such?