[CinCV TNG] Cin 5.1 GG Proxy

igor_ubuntu sitelve at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 23:48:11 CEST 2017

So, this new function takes the program to a new level.
And* “Use scaler (FFMPEG only)” * is an good option. It will be very useful
and in demand.
Thanks !

Some notes:
*From manual: "..Proxy settings only work on the 1st video layer..."*
Why ? I see, that if I load a few videos on a few tracks, choose "Proxy
settings", => I get the  proxy for all video files
(downscaled videos) on all  tracks.

-----------------

How about adding a new option "Create proxy"  in right click menu for
assets in Resources ? Is it possible ?

*Current state:*
A user loads 3  videos on 3 tracks, set "Proxy settings" => he gets the
proxy video files
(downscaled videos) on all 3 tracks. He make some operations..
Now the user wants to add one more (or a few) file into the project. He
loads the file on timeline or in Resources, but the file is loaded as
original file.
If the user uses "Settings->Proxy settings" in main menu, Сin  re-creates
proxy for all already existing files (on timeline and in Resources) and
creates proxy for the new  file. This can take a long time if there are
many files on the timeline.

For such cases, I am suggesting to create a new option "Create proxy"  in
right click menu for assets in Resources.
So, if a user wants to get all files on timeline as proxy files, he uses
"Settings->Proxy settings" in main menu.
If a user wants to get only separate files as proxy files, he uses "Proxy
settings" from right click menu on asset in Resources
This would be useful if the user works with a small project, but wants to
add one big file to the project.

Pros ? Сons ? Anything better ? It doesn't make sense ?

*From manual: "Proxy media is saved in the same directory as the original
media so your directory could get clutteredand cause some confusion. The
proxy files are shown in the Media folder section of the Resources window.
"*

How about the options in right click menu:

*Remove all proxy files from projectRemove all proxy files from disc*

--------------
*Some observations:*

rm -R /.bcast5
- to delete all proxy on your disc
- to run CGG with default settings (720x480 in my case)
- to load (f.exmp.) the file 1280x720 with the strategy "Create new
resources only".    Do not load the file into timeline.
- Alt-P , the window says 'New media dimensons' = 720x480
- choose 'Scale Factor' = 1/2 , 'Use scaler' is disabled.
     I see that the window says 'New media dimensons' = 360x240
- press 'OK'
My file has 1280x720, CGG creates proxy as W/H=640x360  Actual W/H=640x360
(that is as expected)

However, 'Set Format'-'Canvas Size' have the size 360x240 ! (720x480 * 1/2
= 360x240 )
Why ?
Ok, I can install it manually.
----    ---

Now remove the created proxy from disc and repeat all  steps again
- rm -R /.bcast5
- to delete all proxy on your disc
- Alt-P ->  we see that the window says 'New media dimensons' = 360x240
- enable 'Use scaler'  and choose 'Scale Factor' = 1/2 -> the window says
'New media dimensons' = 720x480 !  i.e.  the multiplication occurs !  Why ?
CGG creates proxy as W/H=1280x720  Actual W/H=640x360 (that is as expected)

 'Set Format'-'Canvas Size'  have the size 740x480 !
Why ?

But do not stop. Press again Alt-P -> choose sacale factor = 'Original size'
You will see 'New media dimensons' = 1440x960
Why ?