[CinCV TNG] Debian Stretch APT gives a 404 since Stretch packages added.

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 06:07:41 CEST 2017

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Glen MacArthur <info at bandshed.net> wrote:

> (1) Debian Jessie and Stretch both require the "[trusted=yes]" to be added
> to the apt line in /etc/apt/sources.list which it currently isn't by
> default, I'm puzzled why there haven't been more complaints but probably
> 100% of pure Debian Jessie/Stretch users (other than AV Linux users) who
> have tried to access the phenomenal work on Cin 5.1 through this page
> haven't been successful and that is a real shame, there are some extra
> instructions covering this for Ubuntu users but they are on a different
> page. Not sure if this is GG/Phyllis or Danny thing to fix but I thought
> I'd better mention it.

I mostly keep the https://cinelerra-cv.org/five/pkgs/README.pkgs file
updated as GG upgrades all of the many distros and that is where the
original web site page for downloads came from.  But I have to change the
README.pkgs just about every month to cover new situations and I am not
sure that I always get it right and not sure if anyone wants to change the
web page all of the time too.  Unfortunately, I am not capable of modifying
the web page myself.  Features5.pdf (also out on .../five/pkgs) has
basically the same README in section 1.2 and the "trusted" info was in
there.  The web page icons are very, very convenient for users to download,
but .../five... should be looked at if problems.

I "think" there are a lot of Debian users who are used to having to work
around package install changes, so hopefully they just figure it out on
their own from past experience (kind of just like you did!)

> (2) With an updated apt line for Stretch:
>
> #CINELERRA 5
> deb [trusted=yes] https://cinelerra-cv.org/five/pkgs/debian stretch main
> # deb-src https://cinelerra-cv.org/five/pkgs/debian stretch main
>
> I get this error on an apt-get update:
>
> E: Failed to fetch https://cinelerra-cv.org/five/
> pkgs/debian/dists/stretch/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found
>
> Where have things gone wrong here...?
>
> (3) Can I be a total pain in the butt and request i386 Stretch builds like
> we had for Jessie?
>
> GG will do the Stretch 32-bit build tomorrow.  Does that mean we can now
drop 32-bit Jessie - at least as far as you are concerned?  We are trying
to keep the number of distro builds to around 15 but also are trying to
keep up to date.  Users can just let us know if they need a specific
version (just like you just did!).  For example, 2 months ago GG dropped
Mint 17 to upgrade to Mint 18 and then were notified that a person was
still using it, so we added it back.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  Phyllis/GG