[CinCV TNG] CGG new preference option - Forward Render Enable Displacement - added to GIT

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 02:34:43 CEST 2017

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 1:57 PM, igor_ubuntu <sitelve at gmail.com> wrote:

> The implementation of this function is not user friendly.
> The location of this checkbox in Settings→Preferences-> Interface is
> inconvenient for real using  by users who understand well how it works and
> want to flexibly
> use all modes and to quickly switch between modes.
>
> Even if the checkbox is off, a user should be able to use this function by
> holding down the keys for example Shift-Alt +KP №..
>
> Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.  Especially thanks for testing as
we might have missed something in our tests.  It was quite a difficult
programming task to get this option available, especially since to us it
was already working the way we want.  I think most people will just want to
"set it and forget it".  There are so many shortcuts, how would anyone even
remember Shift-alt+KP#?  I can't imagine any situation where a user would
want to flexibly change from one way to another.

> If the checkbox is on, a user should have a small indicator (or changing
> the color of the cursor) on Compositor and the main window.
> Blinking insertion point ? Ok. But:
> 1 - That is only in main window
> 2 - Тhe checkbox is enabled, a user presses KP, the ins. point does not
> blink (the same as without this checkbox set.)
> How can he/she distinguish between modes? Especially if he forgot his
> choice ..

That is a good idea for color change or some kind of indicator so will see
how do-able it is.

> Reverse plays and plays using a selection or In/Out pointers (with Ctrl)
>> work the same as without this preference set.
>>

> This is not quite true.
> 'Reverse plays' works the same as in 'seeking' mode  and this rule (from
> main manual) does not work
> *".. If you frame advance forward and then frame advance backward, the
> displayed frame does not change. "*

OK, will note in documentation which I have already started on but may have
to change depending on whether suggestions get implemented.

> -------------
> Why does this function have such a name?
>
> Please, make a more detailed explanation.
> How about renaming to *'Forward Render Enable Displacement** '+1'**'*
> At least, it makes sense to make an explanation_yellow tip: something like
> 'to enable the seeking mode for transport controls'
>
> Couldn't think of a good name and since FREDeric suggested this
preference, we used the letters of his name and came up with this.  If
Preferences window allows for tooltips in the program, one will most likely
be added.

But first need to make sure Frederic doesn't find any issues.   Phyllis