[CinCV TNG] lazy insertion point movement when using keypad

Frederic Roenitz ml1 at aimvis.de
Tue Aug 29 23:01:21 CEST 2017

Hi Igor,

sorry for the late response. I couldn't find the time to answer
earlier.

My answer is probably partially obsolete by now, since GG got the
point and just needs time to have a closer look at it and make his own
thoughts about it. The monthly release is imminent so we'll see later.

 >     Rules
 >     =====
 >
 >     The compositor shows the frame where the playhead is currently located.
 >     The insertion point cursor is always at a timeline positions and never on or at a frame.
 >     The playhead is always on or at a frame and never at a timeline position.
 >

 > This concept of ins. point vs playhead will confuse users and does not match the source code.

Well, actually this concept is there, it was just not named and thus
not (easily) visible. And the nameless concept confused 'the users'
already (at least it confused me ;).

 > There is only the insertion point and 'seeking' vs 'playing' modes here.

... and the compositor. This is important.

 >     Intuitively I would expect the relation between the insertion point
 >     cursor and the playhead to always be: "vo".
 >
 >     ... but currently it is not.
 >
 >     Their relation can currently also be: "ov".
 >

 >    This is because the playback position is not the frame but the time between two frames.
 >    The rendered frame is the area that the playback position _*crosses.

yes

and it is what I do not expect intuitively.

 >     Often while editing I have my eyes on the compositor.
 >
 >     Then, some times while editing, I need to know where the insertion
 >     point cursor is currently located by deducing it from what I currently
 >     see in the compositor window.
 >
 >     Currently I can only know where it is, when I know what play/seek
 >     operations I was doing right beforehand. Or by looking at an
 >     appropriately zoomed in timeline.
 >

 > I understand what you mean. But I do not see a problem here.
 > Just keep in mind what you are doing 'seeking' or 'playing'.
 > If a user understand how these two modes work, he/she can use them both in combination very effectively.
 >
 > On the other hand, if a user forgot what he/she was doing 'seeking' or 'playing', that might be a little embarrassing.

I think the fact that this is not 'stateless' is problematic in two
ways:

Problem 1:

  Let's say I am doing seeking and playing, remembering and what I just
  did.

  Then I'm doing something else. (using an effect or zooming, etc. or
  leaving the keyboard to get some tee).

  I'm coming back to transport-operation ... and still have to remember
  what transport-operation I did beforehand.

Problem 2:

  Every extra info I have to keep in mind slows me down. Even if it's
  not slowing me down to the extreme that the world stops, it slows me
  down a little bit.

  If some of these little slowdowners do accumulate, ... the fun part
  suffers accordingly.

 > I suggest to make a small indicator  in main window and Compositor, which will signal how the position of the ins. point (i.e. an recent action 'seeking'  or 'playing')
 >   was set: with 'seeking i.e.  clicking or manually'   or  with 'playing  i.e.  the buttons'
 > Or color  changing the insertion point / illumination of the buttons

Yes, I thought about something like that, too. But maybe this won't be
necessary if GG finds another solution.

However, I was looking at the current behavior of the insertion point
cursor, hoping that it possibly already gives some hints on the
subject by blinking and not blinking.

As I wrote in my other post:

  Currently the insertion point cursor is blinking after a seek when it
  is done by clicking with the mouse 'in the timeline'. It is not
  blinking when the seek is done by entering a value in the "Selection
  start time" field.

  The insertion point cursor is solid (not blinking) after a play
  operation (and while playing, too).

  ... but this is not clear enough for me to be helpful/usable.

Kind greetings

Frederic