[CinCV TNG] lazy insertion point movement when using keypad

igor_ubuntu sitelve at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 19:23:33 CEST 2017

> Hi everybody,
>

> When first using cinelerra I thought that the 'insertion point cursor'
> was something that in kdenlive is called 'the playhead'.

*http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/glossary.html
<http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/glossary.html>**INSERTION POINT *

* a flashing hairline mark that vertically spans the timeline. It marks the
starting place of the coming activity. In the source code is called Main
Cursor. In Cinelerra GUI is called Insertion Point and Cursor. Users
sometimes call it Playback Locator or often just Cursor. *

> The playhead would always prompt to the position in the timeline that
> the compositor displays.
>
> But currently in cinelerra-gg,..

Not only in CGG, but and in HV and CVO/A

> Rules
> =====
>
> The compositor shows the frame where the playhead is currently located.
> The insertion point cursor is always at a timeline positions and never on
> or at a frame.
> The playhead is always on or at a frame and never at a timeline position.

This concept of ins. point vs playhead will confuse users and does not
match the source code.
There is only the insertion point and 'seeking' vs 'playing' modes here.

> Intuitively I would expect the relation between the insertion point
> cursor and the playhead to always be: "vo".
>
> ... but currently it is not.
>
> Their relation can currently also be: "ov".

  This is because the playback position is not the frame but the time
between two frames.
  The rendered frame is the area that the playback position

*crosses.*

> Often while editing I have my eyes on the compositor.
>
> Then, some times while editing, I need to know where the insertion
> point cursor is currently located by deducing it from what I currently
> see in the compositor window.
>
> Currently I can only know where it is, when I know what play/seek
> operations I was doing right beforehand. Or by looking at an
> appropriately zoomed in timeline.

I understand what you mean. But I do not see a problem here.
Just keep in mind what you are doing 'seeking' or 'playing'.
If a user understand how these two modes work, he/she can use them both in
combination very effectively.

On the other hand, if a user forgot what he/she was doing 'seeking' or
'playing', that might be a little embarrassing.

I suggest to make a small indicator  in main window and Compositor, which
will signal how the position of the ins. point (i.e. an recent action
'seeking'  or 'playing')
 was set: with 'seeking i.e.  clicking or manually'   or  with  'playing
i.e.  the buttons'
Or color  changing the insertion point / illumination of the buttons

> * Ideas for a solution*
>
> *  1. Always "vo".*

No. As Phyllis/GG  already explained:

*When you play, you want to know what you just played so that you know what
matches what you just saw/heard in case that is the desired stuff. You
don't want the compositor to show you what you have not yet played - you
need to see this frame to analyze/check to see if it is what you want.*
It is very useful.

However, *'always vo'* is implemented in Cin-CVE.