[CinCV TNG] lazy insertion point movement when using keypad

igor_ubuntu sitelve at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 22:44:50 CEST 2017

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 2:14 AM, igor_ubuntu <sitelve at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Could you please explain this behavior  https://files.fm/u/zfbzac79 ?
>> This new screencast shows same file with 1fps. The file has 10 images: img1
>> img2 ... img10
>>
>> I place (manually) the insert. point(cursor) between* img4* and *img5*
>> -> Compositor shows the next img5 (the next one in relation to the cursor)
>> *(because I make  'seeking')*
>> I press the bt. 'Frame forward' -> Compositor shows the previous *img5* (the
>> previous one in relation to the cursor) that has just been played (*because
>> I make   'playing')*
>> I press the bt. 'Frame backward' -> Compositor shows the * img5*  *Why ?*
>>
>> Simplest explanation by Phyllis - when you *"play forwards", the frame
> to the right of the cursor* *gets displayed.*  When you "*play
> backwards", the frame to the left of the cursor gets displayed*.  It is
> just that simple.
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> *Technical explanation by GG from the code:*
>
> 1) open Example10.mov, 10 frames
> 2) press f to "fit" the timeline
> 3) make sure settings->align_cursor_on_frames is set  now...
>

> *4) seek to frame 4 by clicking timeline at position 4, compositor shows
> 5, since the media counts from 1 and the timeline counts from 0.  This is
> correct.*
>

> *5) press KP1 to play next frame.  According to playback strategy:  When
> play is forwards, the next unit is displayed,  and the position is advanced
> one unit.  So the next frame is 4, (shows 5) it is displayed.    The
> position is advanced from 4 to 5.  This is correct.*

The next frame is 4 (i.e. img5), because the next frame (If we are talking
about 'seeking') is the next frame in relation to the cursor.
Compositor shows frame №4 (i.e. img5), because 'seeking' always shows the
next frame (the frame to the right of the cursor  i.e. (the next frame in
relation to the cursor))
   When play is forwards, this next unit (frame №4 (i.e. img5))  is *AGAIN *
displayed,  and the position is advanced one unit.
Right ?

6) press KP4 to play the prev frame.  According to playback strategy:
> *  When play is in reverse, the previous unit is displayed,  and the
> position is reduced one unit.*
>  So the prev frame is 4, (shows 5) it is displayed.
>  The position is reduced from 5 to 4.  This is correct.

the prev frame is 4, i.e. the previous frame in relation to the cursor.
Right ?

It makes sense to make a translation from the language of programmers to
the user's language. That is, to define what is 'unit'.

Watch the zoombar (bottom of main window) position.  It shows the current
> position is just* before the next frame* to be displayed when going
> forwards, and *just after the frame* to be displayed when going
> backward... except just after a seek.

I see the changes in zoombar, but please make a more detailed explanation
with examples for '*before the next frame*'  , ' *just after the frame*'
and for *'**except just after a seek'.*

-------------

>> The second part of the screencast shows
>> - I am placing the cursor between frames manually in the direction  from
>> 10 to 1  (seeking)
>> - I am pressing  the bt. 'Frame backward'   I'm moving in the direction  from
>> 10 to 1  (playing)
>>
>> But there is no difference between seeking and playing
>> *Why?*
>>
>> There is a difference.  There is no direction when seeking.
> According to the strategy:
> The position is set to the seek target, and the next frame is displayed.

AFAIU If I placе the cursor between frames manually in the direction*  from
10 to 1  *or I use the buttons ( I'm moving in the opposite direction),
 Cin  always shows the frame to the right of the cursor  i.e. (the right
next frame in relation to the cursor)) .