[CinCV TNG] lazy insertion point movement when using keypad

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 00:42:20 CEST 2017

Igor:

> But..
> *quote from manual:*
>
> *When using frame advance functions the behavior may seem odd. If you
> frame advance forward and then frame advance backward, the displayed frame
> does not change.This is because the playback position is not the frame but
> the time between two frames. The rendered frame is the area that the
> playback position crosses. When you increment the time between two frames
> by one and decrement it by one, you cross the same frame both times and so
> the same frame is displayed*.
> I do not understand the mechanism of this behavior. I understand what's
> going on, but I do not understand *why*.

Great scholars indicate that in the beginning the universe blew up from a
singularity, just so we could do "this".  After a long series of arbitrary
decisions and design mistakes, we are "here"... and as Neo put it "the
problem is choice", and as Morpheus put it "Welcome to the real world"...
such as it is.

*SO*,,, position is usually set in the program as a location that is
between a previous and next frame/sample unit such that the next unit
equals the seek target.  After position is reset using a "seek" operation,
the next unit is displayed, which is the seek target.  When play is
forwards, the next unit is shown, and the position is advanced one unit.
When play is in reverse, the previous unit is shown, and the position is
reduced one unit.  At the beginning, there is no previous, and at the end,
there is no next, but silence is rendered at the end.

so sayith GG (using Phyllis' account)