[CinCV TNG] lazy insertion point movement when using keypad

Frederic Roenitz ml1 at aimvis.de
Wed Aug 23 17:52:00 CEST 2017

Wow, thank you a lot for all the details! This is really a lot of
stuff that needs consideration when you look at it from all point of
views!

Before I can give my 2 cents in a comprehensible way, I need some
clarification and certainty that we are using the same words for the
same things. :)

(Maybe what comes next could go into the documentation.)

Definition of "playing" and "seeking"
*************************************

I am only talking about the main window and the compositor window,
here.

The viewer window behavior might be added later.

*playing* is done by:

1. pressing the space key

2. pressing the numpad-keys

3. clicking the "playback"-buttons ...

3.1 in the main window, near the top left of
     the main window.

3.2 in the compoistor window.

(3.3 in the viewer window.)

*seeking* is done by:

1. clicking "into" the timeline. Where "into" can be on the header or
    on the body of the timeline in the compositor window, while in "cut
    and paste editing" mode. Or only on the header, while in "drag and
    drop editing" mode.

2. entering a value in the [how is this type of field called]
    "Selection start time" near the bottom right of the compositor
    window.

ascii-art version of the timeline in the compositor window

v == insertion point
o == frame that is displayed in the compositor

timeline ==

  0 1 2 3 4 5
  | | | | | |
   _ _ _ _ _

where

  0

   _

is a single frame. In this example it is frame 0.

Example 1
=========

      vo
  0 1 2 3 4 5
  | | | | | |
   _ _ _ _ _

  the insertion point (shown by: "v") is at frame 2.
  compositor shows frame 2 (shown by: "o").

Example 2
=========

     ov
  0 1 2 3 4 5
   _ _ _ _ _

  the insertion point (shown by: "v") is at frame 2.
  compositor shows frame 1 (shown by: "o").

Please add corrections to the above as you see fit or just tell me
whether this is correct so far!

Kind greetings

Frederic