[CinCV TNG] Benchmarking different versions of Cinelerra?

Einar R√ľnkaru einarrunkaru at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 12:08:22 CEST 2017

On 07/19/2017 10:01 PM, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:

> well, only working for  me partial decode acceleration looks OK. There are
> well-known artefacts for nouveau/vdpau/mpeg2 combination - but they simply
> software bugs. Sadly, writing firmware for those  video decoding coprocessors
> is even bigger task than 'just' reverse-engeneer rendrering part of GPU. AMD
> run proprietary video decoding firmware, and nouveau so far relies on extracted
> binary firmware for  this hardware decoding (ok, my card has TWO video
> decoders, one is fixed-function mpeg2 decoder, and this run w/o host-uploaded
> firmware, and near it you have again, combination of TWO dirrerent
> coprocessors, one running bitstream processing, and other doing
> massively-parallel run on partially-decoded image. For some yet to discovered
> reason bitstream processor hang at, hm, decoding h264 bitstream, with
> nouveau..) So, while in theory quality can be improved due to programmable
> nature of those co-processors - none was able to demonstrate this yet.

There is a lot software related to hw-decodeing: firmware, drivers,
library, application. All they may contain bugs. If it is in firmware,
it is very hard to fix outside the developers. Firmware is a program
which runs on unknown computer. Fix it can only people who know what the
computer looks like from the programmers point of view.

Create a new or reverse-engineer an existing firmware is very hard if
you dont know nothing about the hardware. So we have to rely on
propertary firmware.

Einar