[CinCV TNG] Benchmarking different versions of Cinelerra?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 20:43:53 CEST 2017

Hi, all!

I tried to compare playback performance between three different versions of
Cinelerra, but as Einar correctly warned - benchmarking is not simple! While
for my system some parameters like visible track size (32->64->128), and
resolution of timeline doesn't play such big difference - on other systems they
may slow down things more or less, compared to decoding/effect
computations/encoding.

So, may be standartized set of Cinelerra (CV | CVE | GG) config files can be
developed, along with publically-accesible test videos in various formats?

Right now I was quite surprized to realize CinelerraCV (according to numbers it
displays in preferences window - big red fps number) can play 1280x720 25 fps
yuv420 mjpeg AVI file at 16 fps, while CVE only does 10, and GG just 8 at
most ...may be those calculations are not prescie enough, and different codecs
will show different behaviour/performance, I think. Also, I understand often it
simply too early to optimize not yet debugged code.

Also, I was wrong in my observation only CVE was not utilizing all four cores to
100% during playback-only - they all mostly load cores to 80-90% - so hopefully
there is some room for improvements.