[CinCV TNG] usability suggestions for FFMPEG-Early-Probe-button and shell-cmds-button

Frederic Roenitz roenitz at aimvis.de
Sun Jul 9 20:54:19 CEST 2017

Hello everybody, :)

Some usability suggestions:

"FFMPEG Early Probe"-button (top right on main window;
Features5.pdf Page 10: 2. FFMPEG Early Probe Explanation):

The tooltip currently shows either "Try FFMpeg first" or "Try FFMpeg
last".

I'd wish it would be more clear, like for example the following
tooltip texts are:

  FFMPEG Early Probe: current state is: "Try FFMpeg first"; click to switch to: "Try FFMpeg last"

  FFMPEG Early Probe: current state is: "Try FFMpeg last"; click to switch to: "Try FFMpeg first"

- This contains the button name, so I can easily find details in the
   manual.

- It show the current state and makes it clear, that this *is* the
   current state it is showing.

- It shows which effect clicking on the button would have.

"Menu Bar Shell Commands"-button (top right on main window;
Features5.pdf Page 70: 14. Menu Bar Shell Commands):

Currently I don't see that it's configurable (somewhere) and right
clicking does nothing. I'd wish that right clicking would open the
same window as does:

  Settings->Preferences->Interface->Shell Commands

... and give a hint that you can also reach this config window through
Settings->Preferences->Interface->Shell Commands

Or at least change the tooltip text from "shell cmds" to something
like:

  shell cmds; configuration: Settings->Preferences->Interface->Shell Commands

What do you think?

Kind greetings

Frederic