[CinCV TNG] Future issues regarding the use of opencv

Einar R√ľnkaru einarrunkaru at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 15:02:37 CEST 2017

On 07/07/2017 09:17 AM, igor_ubuntu wrote:
> The findobject plugin  is buggy and crashes a lot.
> No one knows how it works. I asked several times. No one answered.
> Probaly only Adam and Peter know know how it works.
> At the time this plugin is enabled only in CVO.

> <mailto:feranick at yahoo.com>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     With the porting of the findobject plugin a while back from upstream
>     (HV), dependencies to OpenCV were added as needed by the plugin.
>     This was based on OpenCV 2.4.x which used legacy calls. Currently
>     OpenCV 2.4.x is supported up to the current version of (for example)
>     Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty). The next release (17.10, Artful), moved to a
>     API incompatible OpenCV 3.1, which is not widely available to
>     previous releases. It's one of those nasty portability issues, where
>     code is written already using legacy calls that become obsolete (and
>     no longer available).
>
>     The question is: Should the plugin be rewritten specifically for the
>     releases using one version? Upstream deals with this by bundling
>     both version which is not what I would do for a single plugin.
>     Should we deprecate the plugin while in search for a solution?
>
>     Any ideas?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Nicola

configure has a check of existence of needed opencl libraries. If it
does not find them, findobject will not be compiled.

My idea is to get rid all of bundled libraries - we will use existing if
the distribution provides them. Of course there will remain libraries
what must exist.

Bundling opencl libraries is not an option.

If someone steps out and announces "I do research and will understand
why finobject is useful and how it works. I will fix it an maintan it in
the future", I am ready to keep it. If there is nobody who wants to take
care of findobject plugin, I vote for removing it.

Having a feature that does not work, is pointless.
Having a feature that nobody knows how to use, is pointless.

Einar