[CinCV TNG] Future issues regarding the use of opencv

Nicola Ferralis feranick at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 02:37:30 CEST 2017

Hi,

With the porting of the findobject plugin a while back from upstream
(HV), dependencies to OpenCV were added as needed by the plugin. This
was based on OpenCV 2.4.x which used legacy calls. Currently OpenCV
2.4.x is supported up to the current version of (for example) Ubuntu
17.04 (Zesty). The next release (17.10, Artful), moved to a API
incompatible OpenCV 3.1, which is not widely available to previous
releases. It's one of those nasty portability issues, where code is
written already using legacy calls that become obsolete (and no longer
available).

The question is: Should the plugin be rewritten specifically for the
releases using one version? Upstream deals with this by bundling both
version which is not what I would do for a single plugin. Should we
deprecate the plugin while in search for a solution?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nicola