[CinCV TNG] MPEG-2 native lossless editing without re-encoding

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:18:04 CET 2016

While I defer to your expertise, which is no doubt far deeper than mine
(almost nonexistent, at any rate) the truth is that a simple google search
returns many links to tools (under Windows and Mac, never Linux, and
non-free, mostly) that, purportedly, get the job done, together with
comments from people who claim that it is by no means impossible, and
describe ways (clunky, apparently impractical, and probably dubious, to be
sure) to do it.

Anyway, it is not my intent to start a war here; I would not have the
necessary minimum knowledge to wage it, anyway. I just want to tackle a
problem that is easily described: I have some x.264 video material that I
would like to edit with single-frame accuracy. Can this video be processed
(by Cinelerra, or some other tool) into a different format, so that
Cinelerra can do the editing? If I understand things correctly,
conceptually it would be a matter of uncompressing the x.264 video
(obtaining a much larger output video), work on the uncompressed video, and
then compress the resulting video material with x.264. Can this be done, in
a (relatively) simple way, without loss of quality, with the help of
Cinelerra?