[CinCV TNG] MPEG-2 native lossless editing without re-encoding

Terje J. Hanssen terje at nordland-teknikk.no
Thu Dec 29 10:22:58 CET 2016

Den 27. des. 2016 14:27, skrev Terje J. Hanssen:
> 1080i HDV.m2t contains video of long-GOP MPEG-2 compression,
> 1440x1080, 8-bit 4:2:0and 25 Mb/s data rate that can be loaded in
> Cinelerra.
>
> 1) I wonder if it is possible to do simple edits (cuts, join,
> transitions) and save the result as MPEG-2 video with Cinelerra?
>
> 2) Can this be done "native" and lossless without a lossy generation
> re-encoding of everything, except locally at cuts/transition?
>
> 3. I.e. gopchop is said can do fast, lossless cuts,  FCP7+ possibly
> more. AVID is said to  do "smart GOP splicing" for frame accuracy of
> long GOP MPEG-2.
> Does Cinelerra have some feature like these?
>
> Terje J. H

Add here three urls as references for the above  questioning:

1) Editing long-GOP video - Perform MPEG export using smart GOP
splicing. by Steve Mullen
http://www.tvtechnology.com/multiformat/0112/editing-long-gop-video/255532

2) Avid HD Workflows
https://www.avid.com/static/resources/US/documents/hdworkflows.pdf