[CinCV TNG] Cinelerra startup problem on Kubuntu16.10

Good Guy good1.2guy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 01:03:47 CET 2016

libpng is a sore spot on ubuntu.
It requires special handling just to get the header files to not fail the
compile.

my "xenial" ub16 build system seems to only contain libpng12.  This is
probably
a mistake, as libpng12 is pretty much no longer supported.  I'll look into
this.

You can try to install libpng12 using:
apt install libpng12
but, I would recommend just rebuilding cin5.1 on you system.  This will use
the
resources on your system to construct the image.

The directions are documented in:
https://cinelerra-cv.org/five/Features5.pdf
section 1.1

summary:
first: apt remove cin
then:
# this is where you need the 2.5GB of disk space
cd /<build_path>/
git clone --depth 1 "git://git.cinelerra-cv.org/goodguy/cinelerra.git"
cinelerra5
cd cinelerra5/cinelerra-5.1
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr
make 2>&1 | tee log
grep "\*\*\*.*error" -ai log
# if the grep does not identify build errors
# manual system install:
make install
# manual system uninstall
make uninstall

Not for the faint of heart, and may take some time to operate.
If you encounter problems, I will be glad to help.  Just send
me the build log (from the make | tee line in the cinelerra-5.1)

gg