[CinCV TNG] Cinelerra renders a jerky movie

Terje J. Hanssen terje at nordland-teknikk.no
Wed Dec 14 01:57:37 CET 2016

Hi Ed,

I don't know why your movie is "jerky". What I can say is that I have
tested Cinerella-GG 5.1 on openSUSE Leap 42.x with three different video
file formats (dv, prores hq/mov and now hdv/m2t), all with fairly good
BD m2ts rendering quality as results. On the other hand I have a problem
that the final bd content isn't written to the udfs folder.

Googling indicates that the JVC TOD format on disk is similar like SONY
HDV video on tape. I've used a HDV-HDD recorder to transfer m2t files
via firewire from my Sony FX7E HDV camcorder tape, then mounted it on my
Suse/Cinelerra workstation. Both the original 1080i50 hdv.m2t file and
the rendered bd.m2ts playback fine with close to the same visible
quality with VLC, ffplay and Dragonplayer.

During BD rendering I used the default presets with one exception: at
the Creating BD's Format I replaced the default 1920x1080 29.97i ntsc
frame rates to 25i pal (I think it would be smart if the default was 25i
pal or possibly 24p here). See the screenshot in the current
Features5.pdf guide page 21/105.

In case it can be of some use as comparision information, I include the
General and Video sections listed from 'Mediainfo' (installed from
Packman) for both the original hdv.m2t file and the rendered bd.m2ts file:

1) mediainfo hdv01_03.m2t
-------------------------
General
ID                                       : 255 (0xFF)
Complete name                            : hdv01_03.m2t
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
Commercial name                          : HDV 1080i
File size                                : 2.00 GiB
Duration                                 : 10 min 57 s
Start time                               : UTC 2007-02-04 13:10:17
End time                                 : UTC 2007-02-08 11:27:00
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 26.1 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 33.0 Mb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2007-02-04 13:10:17

Video
ID                                       : 2064 (0x810)
Menu ID                                  : 100 (0x64)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Commercial name                          : HDV 1080i
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main at High 1440
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=12
Format settings, picture structure       : Frame
Codec ID                                 : 2
Duration                                 : 10 min 57 s
Bit rate                                 : 24.4 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 25.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 440 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Standard                                 : Component
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.628
Stream size                              : 1.87 GiB (94%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

2) mediainfo hdv01_03_bd.m2ts
-----------------------------
General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : hdv01_03_bd.m2ts
Format                                   : BDAV
Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
File size                                : 740 MiB
Duration                                 : 10 min 58 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 9 435 kb/s

Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Baseline at L3
Format settings, CABAC                   : No
Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=25
Codec ID                                 : 27
Duration                                 : 10 min 58 s
Bit rate                                 : 8 829 kb/s
Nominal bit rate                         : 8 000 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.170
Stream size                              : 693 MiB (94%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 148
Encoding settings                        : cabac=0 / ref=1 /
deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=dia / subme=8 / psy=1 /
psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=8 / chroma_me=0 / trellis=0 /
8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 /
threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1
/ interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 /
weightp=0 / keyint=25 / keyint_min=1 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 /
rc_lookahead=25 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=8000 / ratetol=1.0 /
qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=33 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Terje J. H