[CinCV TNG] Cinelerra renders a jerky movie

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Tue Dec 13 23:20:43 CET 2016

Hi Ed

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 02:00:45PM +0100, Evaessen at ziggo Nl wrote:
> 'Jerky' was perhaps not the best way to describe it.

:-)

Describing video behaviour is always a challenge.

> But on the movie I see a man walking and sometimes his leg stops for a fraction
> of a second, then swings forwad fast.
>
> [From later email]
> And to it I can add that also in the compositor the problem occurs.
> So it is not only a matter of how it is rendered.

The effect is certainly interesting.  If it's happening in the compositor as
well then that would suggest that rather than being a rendering problem it
is instead associated with the decoding of the original stream.

> When the camera sways from right to left, compression artifacts like a bunch of
> small squares appears.

My initial thought was that the encoder might be restricting itself to a bit
rate that was too low.  However, in light of your followup comment about the
effects being seen in the compositor, it suggests that there's something
about the input stream that your cin5.1 is tripping up on.

> It is not an interlace matter.

Based on the above description I would definitely agree with you.

I have personally never rendered to blueray nor have I used HD JVC TOD/MTS
streams, so unfortunately I have nothing more I can usefully add at this
point.

Regards
  jonathan