[CinCV TNG] Cinelerra renders a jerky movie

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Tue Dec 13 01:06:59 CET 2016

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:26:29PM +0100, Evaessen at ziggo Nl wrote:
> After editing, I always rendered the movie as a YUVMPEG stream wit this
> pipe:
>
> ffmpeg -i - -y -vcodec mpeg2video -b 60000k -r 25 -g 1 -top 1 -flags
>   +ilme+ildct -aspect 16:9 %
> After mixing it with sound, I invariably had a good movie.
> Cinelerra 5.1 looks easier. Having more codecs available with it, I can render
> my movie to Blu-ray with simpel default settings.
> Alas, the movie is jerky, ...

Without seeing a sample it's hard to say what might be happening.  Are the
jerky motions most obvious in the horizonal direction?  If so it might be
a field order issue.  In your pipeline you are specifying that the top field
is first (presumedly your footage is interlaced).  The default settings in
Cinelerra 5.1 might assume bottom field first or may leave it unspecified
(in which case the encoder might be adopting a default of bottom-first).

I'm not familiar with the options available in cin5.1, but see if you can
explicitly specify the field order.  Set it to "top first"; see if that
is propagated to the encoder and whether it improves things.

Regards
  jonathan