[CinCV TNG] 10-bit ubuntu 16.04 version available temporatily if anyone just wants to try it (5.1)

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 00:50:13 CET 2016

There are a lot of new cameras out there, such as the Black Magic or Canon HF-G30,
that record in 10-bit mode.  More pixels, better quality.  So if you spent big $$$ on astate-of-the-art camera that records in 10-bit, you wouldn't want to lose the extra bits by processing with Cinelerra and its libraries that only handle 8 bits.  It is kind of likeviewing on a standard TV versus HD - high definition (but not quite that dramatic).

Because it requires an additional build to create 10-bit versions and GG is already building about 10O/S distros it would double that workload and take 2 days instead of 1 day for 20 builds.  There is no way to give the user the choice because of the way the third-party library software was written for
x264/x265 (I did more searching today just to determine if this has changed, but no).
There has been a 10-bit Leap version around for several months because Terje had requestedit and had a need for it.  Anyone can create their own 10-bit version from the software Gitrepository following instructions in the Features5.pdf file but it is generally too difficult.  If someonehas a genuine need for a 10-bit version for an up-to-date O/S, it might be added.