[CinCV TNG] 11/16 - Cinelerra 6

Good Guy good1.2guy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 19:07:19 CET 2016

Good to see all improvements to any version of Cinelerra.  Original author
probably has the most overall knowledge of the entire package so nice to
see he is still working on it too!

USA - new president, new Cinelerra ..
> :-)
> 11/16 - Cinelerra 6
>
> Updated the h264 decoding.
> There are no longer picons in the asset window. Motion tracking got major
> optimizations. Resampling effects got new interfaces.
> Titler can load subtitle files.

"No Comment" on new president :-) yet.
I can think of a few new interpretations of "POTUS".
(formally, President Of The US)

Initial look at HV changes (more time needed to look into further):
-Meritorious upgrade from ffmpeg 0.6.1 to 3.0.2 (referring to h264 update).
-Providing more than 1 choice for assets of text or picons is better as is.
-Motion tracking optimizations will be very beneficial and have to analyze.
-Resampling effects got new interfaces with the scale changed from floating
point to numerator/denominator style input.  More analysis needed.
-Titler can load subtitle files.  5.1 has subtitles as a separate stream
which allows for being able to turn them off/on as needed instead.  This
makes it very flexible and useful for producing DVDs.  This is not possible
as titles.
-Some work on Quicktime is in the new HV version.  5.1 uses ffmpeg instead
because all of the work in ffmpeg is current and kept up to date.

Excited to see the motion tracking optimization and am hoping to include
these improvements in 5.1 by the end of the month.

I made a news item on the website, but added a little note

Am glad Danny put the note up because it keeps users knowing that
cinelerra-cv is keeping an eye on things and it is actively/ongoing work.

Personally, I really think it would help a lot if the efforts were all
concentrated into one version.  This is a personal goal of mine, and I
think that 5.1 is headed in that direction, but there has been no progress
with integrating efforts, just integrating mods.

I have attached a patch which repairs build errors for hv6 on my machine.
Perhaps it may help if you want to give hv6 a try.

gg