[CinCV TNG] OGV from recordmydesktop and Cinelerra's world -> errors/crashes

Good Guy good1.2guy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 20:11:59 CEST 2016

Actually, I thought about it a bit, and think this may be ok.

The problem you seem to identify is related to your expectation that
numbers that end in x.xxx000... flip to xxw999... when round off truncation
is present.  The effect in "digit" distance is that you see unexpected
changes.  The numerical error cannot be erased, but the direction of the
error can.  By adding about  1/1000000 (1e-6) the significant part of the
answer (the part we normally see) will probably be what you expect
(prettier).  The error is still there, but does not exhibit unexpected
digit flipping.  It is mostly because, as humans, we like numbers that are
anchored around a decimal point.

I think it is already doing something like this for a frame number
calculation.  It too is susceptible to this kind of rounding, and it is a
problem in that case.  The only issues arise when the results is actually
within 1/1000000 sec of a real number on the negative edge.  Probably not
an issue in the real world... So what the heck, lets see if it looks better.

gg