[CinCV TNG] OGV from recordmydesktop and Cinelerra's world -> errors/crashes

igor_ubuntu sitelve at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:48:29 CEST 2016

Hi.

> On 19 October 2016 at 21:59, igor_ubuntu <sitelve at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For example this file https://cinelerra-cv.org/examp
>> les/NY_titler_timefront.ogg
>> Writing application: Cinelerra 2.1.5
>> -------->
>>
>> C5.1 - errors - http://www.picshare.ru/view/7708260/
>> However, if I move the cursor manually the picture in the Compositor
>> window *does not* flicker and *does not* blink.
>> ------
>> CVO/M4.1 - a stable crash
>>

> ogg decoding is broken. Works on some oggs.

I did a little research.
https://www.google.com.ua/search?q=Broken+file,+keyframe+not+correctly+marked.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=cVoIWLicJaX36ASo76rQDA#q=Broken+file,+keyframe+not+correctly+marked.&start=0
*"Broken file, keyframe not correctly marked."*

This is a known problem from recordmydesktop
for example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/recordmydesktop/+bug/1589853
------------------------------
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=265&t=115164

*After long and extensive testing, I've come to the conclusion that the
entire problem is neither Kdenlive, nor Melt, nor FFMpeg, but, as
originally posted, the horrible, broken files produced by RecordMyDesktop.
If I try and actually transcode one with FFMPEG and minimal options, using
either current stable or git master versions of FFMPEG, I get hundreds /
thousands of errors stating: "Broken file, keyframe not correctly
marked.time=00:40:28.70" *
==========

Furthemore there was a problem (at the time it is fixed) in previous
ffmpeg's versions

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2012-February/004896.html

*Bad keyframes when encoding to the ogg container format*
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2012-February/005117.html

*I just re-encoded my videos with the latest ffmpeg and I no longer getany
errors.*

===============

But:

I downloaded new static build 3.1.4 https://www.johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
- encoded (with this static) a correct file mjpeg/raw-pcm.mov to
theora/vorbis.ogg
- loaded this .ogg in cinelerra ->
-> the same situation with all branches (errors, flickers (cve) ).

Furthemore, CVE does not play vorbis-audio of the file.

> *CVE works/plays without problem and errors.But  if I move the cursor
> manually, the picture in the Compositor window flickers and blinks. Seeking
> in CVE needs that keyframes are properly marked. Simple playback does not
> care about marking of keyframes. Moving manually does seeking: seeks to
> keyframe, starts decoding until reaches required frame. When keyframe
> marking is wrong decoding fails resulting black frame. Seeking in gg-branch
> is implemented differently.*

Ok. Thanks for the explanation. Thus a CVE's user can identify  keyframes's
problems in a file moving the cursor manually. Right ?

You may try to remux the file with:
> ffmpeg -i broken.ogg -vcodec copy better.ogg
>
> Einar

I tried this but without result. The same situation.