[CinCV TNG] Comparison of Cinelerra versions?

Terje J. Hanssen terje at nordland-teknikk.no
Wed Dec 30 19:04:17 CET 2015

Den 29. des. 2015 14:55, skrev Sérgio Basto:
> Hello,
>
> On Ter, 2015-12-29 at 12:08 +0100, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> The Cinelerra-CV News Dec 28, 2015 cleared up some of the confusion
>> between the three different versions of Cinelerra in the About
>> Cinelerra
>> section. The current versions are
>>
>> Cinelerra-CV 2.3
>> Cinelerra-HV 4.6.1
>> Cinelerra.org 5.0
> You forgot mention einar branch , in http://git.cinelerra-cv.org/gitweb
> ?p=einar/cinelerra.git;a=shortlog

It wasn't mentioned in the Cinelerra-CV News and About section.

> from example this commit : http://git.cinelerra-cv.org/gitweb?p=einar/c
> inelerra.git;a=commit;h=d5690bba6447436540fbd878f8633af0e5fcdfe2
>
> with log : Changes backported from upstream,
>
> who is quicktime upstream ? and I we don't use upstream directly ?
>
> Looking for shortlog of einar branch since 2015-10-01, we see
> - Upgrade internal ffmpeg to version 2.8
> - Fixed h264 encoding in quicktime/qth264
>
> but is not in cinelerra-cv .
>
> IMO cinelerra-cv encoders should be (almost) all updated , and
> preferentially as external libs , I mean ffmpeg, x264 and  quicktime.
> And also :
> - toolame now we got twolame-0.3.13-4.fc22.i686 (TwoLAME is an
> optimised MPEG Audio Layer 2 encoding library based on tooLAME)
> - mpeg2enc and mplex now we got mjpegtools-2.1.0-5.fc22.x86_64
>
> IMHO , we should try sync einar branch with Cinelerra-CV much as
> possible, at least encoders , but I inspect the trees and saw
> implementations of different features in both branches which make me
> stop to think, what I should do about it.
>
>> Especially the latters Newsletter Dec 23, 2015 makes impression of
>> many
>> enhancements added to this version during 2015 related to ffmpeg
>> integration, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 editing and handling many codec formats
>> and
>> more
>> http://cinelerra.org/2015/index.php/2015-03-03-21-28-12/newsletter
>>
>> Is someone here capable to and willingly to set up a feature
>> comparison
>> between Cinelerra-CV 2.3 and cinelerra.org 5.0? Not only the
>> differences
>> but a complete, extensible feature list will be useful information
>> in
>> the Cinelerra documentation, wiki and manual.
>>
>> And next, is also cinelerra.org 5.0 opensource and gpl, so that new
>> features possibly can be added to Cinelerra-CV sooner than later,
>> i.e
>> in a similar way that new features from Cinelerra-HV 4-6-1 is being
>> included?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Terje Hanssen

As no-one so far really has replied my primary topic about a complete
'feature list' for Cinelerra, I will try to deepen my inquiry from a
users point of view. That is all its technical specifications and what
can be handled with Cinelerra and surrounding free tools. And possibly,
'how to do it' with hyperlinks to the documentation (manual, howtos)..

A keyword list for this could i.e contain or be grouped as follows:

System requirements
Capture Cards or devices
File Capture / Transfer
Import formats (SD, HD)
Feature set
Editing functions
Capabilities
Transitions
File Rendering Encoding features
Special Effects and Filters
Output formats (SD, HD, DVD, BD, mobile, online )

sample urls:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_converters
http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=213