[CinCV TNG] Comparison of Cinelerra versions?

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Tue Dec 29 17:51:02 CET 2015

On Ter, 2015-12-29 at 18:24 +0200, Einar Rünkaru wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 12/29/2015 03:55 PM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Ter, 2015-12-29 at 12:08 +0100, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
> > > Hi List,
> > >
> > > The Cinelerra-CV News Dec 28, 2015 cleared up some of the
> > > confusion
> > > between the three different versions of Cinelerra in the About
> > > Cinelerra
> > > section. The current versions are
> > >
> > > Cinelerra-CV 2.3
> > > Cinelerra-HV 4.6.1
> > > Cinelerra.org 5.0
> >
> > You forgot mention einar branch , in http://git.cinelerra-cv.org/gi
> > tweb
> > ?p=einar/cinelerra.git;a=shortlog
>
> It is experimental branch: it may work today - tomorrow not. You
> can't
> rely on it to get something done.
> >
> > from example this commit : http://git.cinelerra-cv.org/gitweb?p=ein
> > ar/c
> > inelerra.git;a=commit;h=d5690bba6447436540fbd878f8633af0e5fcdfe2
> >
> > with log : Changes backported from upstream,
> >
> > who is quicktime upstream ? and I we don't use upstream directly ?
>
> Upstream in this context is from cinelerra.org.

shouldn't be libquicktime ?

URL         : http://libquicktime.sourceforge.net/
Summary     : Library for reading and writing Quicktime files
Description :
Libquicktime is based on the quicktime4linux library with several
enhancements. All 3rd-party libraries were removed from the
sourcetree. Instead, the systemwide installed libraries are detected
by the configure script. All original codecs were moved into
dynamically loadable modules, and new codecs are in
development. Libquicktime is source-compatible with
quicktime4linux. Special API extensions allow access to the codec
registry and more convenient processing of Audio and Video
data.

> The answer to second question is - I want to get rid of it. Today
> ffmpeg
> libs can replace it.
> >
> > Looking for shortlog of einar branch since 2015-10-01, we see
> > - Upgrade internal ffmpeg to version 2.8
> > - Fixed h264 encoding in quicktime/qth264
> >
> > but is not in cinelerra-cv .
>
> The quicktime fix will never go to cv. It may create broken files.
> >

> > IMHO , we should try sync einar branch with Cinelerra-CV much as
> > possible, at least encoders , but I inspect the trees and saw
> > implementations of different features in both branches which make
> > me
> > stop to think, what I should do about it.
>
> I am waiting for years a volunteer, who selects features from my
> branch
> and ports them to official branch. Code review and testing is
> expected.

We could begging by encoders and decoders: ffmpeg, x264, quicktime and
also :
- toolame now we got twolame-0.3.13-4.fc22.i686 (TwoLAME is an
optimised MPEG Audio Layer 2 encoding library based on tooLAME)
- mpeg2enc and mplex, now we got mjpegtools-2.1.0-5.fc22.x86_64

--
Sérgio M. B.