[CinCV TNG] Comparison of Cinelerra versions?

Einar Rünkaru einarrunkaru at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 17:24:25 CET 2015

Hi.

On 12/29/2015 03:55 PM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Ter, 2015-12-29 at 12:08 +0100, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> The Cinelerra-CV News Dec 28, 2015 cleared up some of the confusion
>> between the three different versions of Cinelerra in the About
>> Cinelerra
>> section. The current versions are
>>
>> Cinelerra-CV 2.3
>> Cinelerra-HV 4.6.1
>> Cinelerra.org 5.0
>
> You forgot mention einar branch , in http://git.cinelerra-cv.org/gitweb
> ?p=einar/cinelerra.git;a=shortlog

It is experimental branch: it may work today - tomorrow not. You can't
rely on it to get something done.

> from example this commit : http://git.cinelerra-cv.org/gitweb?p=einar/c
> inelerra.git;a=commit;h=d5690bba6447436540fbd878f8633af0e5fcdfe2
>
> with log : Changes backported from upstream,
>
> who is quicktime upstream ? and I we don't use upstream directly ?

Upstream in this context is from cinelerra.org.

The answer to second question is - I want to get rid of it. Today ffmpeg
libs can replace it.

> Looking for shortlog of einar branch since 2015-10-01, we see
> - Upgrade internal ffmpeg to version 2.8
> - Fixed h264 encoding in quicktime/qth264
>
> but is not in cinelerra-cv .

The quicktime fix will never go to cv. It may create broken files.

> IMHO , we should try sync einar branch with Cinelerra-CV much as
> possible, at least encoders , but I inspect the trees and saw
> implementations of different features in both branches which make me
> stop to think, what I should do about it.

I am waiting for years a volunteer, who selects features from my branch
and ports them to official branch. Code review and testing is expected.

The same can be said about upstream (eg HV & cinelerra.org)

Einar