[CinCV TNG] H.264 export broken - users should be aware

Einar Rünkaru einarrunkaru at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:00:23 CEST 2015

On 21 October 2015 at 23:16, igor_ubuntu <sitelve at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest options for ./configure
> -- disable-updating-ffmpeg
> -- updating-only-stable-ffmpeg

The current behavior is to check out the last commit from ffmpeg branch 2.8
when the directory <cinelerra_root>/ffmpeg does not exist. When the
directory does exist, configure does not make any attempt to download
anything.

I expect that fixes in released versions are only bugfixes and api does not
change. User can upgrade ffmpeg when he/she thinks that improves
something.  I think that this situatioin will be quite rare.

Expert user can download any version of ffmpeg and put it into
<cinelerra_root>/ffmpeg. This does not conflict with configure.
<cinelerra_root>/.configure sould be run after changing ffmpeg because it
attempts to configure the internal ffmpeg. Users should be aware that
cinelerra with such a custom ffmpeg may not compile - api changes are
relatively frequent.

When you configure with external ffmpeg nothing is downloaded.

>>> Yes, this is a problem. But our goal is not to fix ffmpeg, but
>>> cinelerra. When we discover a bug in ffmpeg we send patch to them. When
>>> we don't understand where the problem is, we can agree what commit we
>>> test.
>>>

>> This looks like a candidate for a git submodule: The Cinelerra tree
>> records a "preferred" ffmpeg commit to check out. But users can always
>> change the checked-out version to a different one, if the like and know how
>> to handle the case.

My goal is to keep cinelerra compatible with multiple versions on ffmpeg.
So the prefferred commit is overkill.

Einar