[CinCV TNG] Do not reply to old messages to for a new email conversation (Was: Color-managed displays in the Cinelerra-cv ?)

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Jun 2 07:42:20 CEST 2015

[Pierre]
> Sorry, I did not know this problem using Reply (anddeleting the title
> and all the previous content, before creating a new title and new
> content) just to retrieve the mailing address. This is the first time
> someone criticizes me this procedure to start a new tread, which I use
> at least hundreds of times since I started using computers.

Very glad we could clear up that misunderstanding.  I hope you will stop
this bad practice now.  It add an unwanted In-Reply-To and References
header, and make your email show up in an old thread in my mailer.  Some
times it causes your email to be ignored when people believe it is a
message picking up an old argument in an old thread.

[Einar R√ľnkaru]
> Usually people do not use threads, so they don't care.

Perhaps.  But the email standards should be followed, no matter how much
people care or not, to ensure the robustness of the mail system.  But
then again, I am one of those people that care.

Specifying the In-Reply-To header correctly, and only when the message
is a reply to the message mentioned in that header, should according to
the email standard RFC 2822 follow these rules:

   The "In-Reply-To:" and "References:" fields are used when creating a
   reply to a message.  They hold the message identifier of the original
   message and the message identifiers of other messages (for example,
   in the case of a reply to a message which was itself a reply).  The
   "In-Reply-To:" field may be used to identify the message (or
   messages) to which the new message is a reply, while the
   "References:" field may be used to identify a "thread" of
   conversation.

   When creating a reply to a message, the "In-Reply-To:" and
   "References:" fields of the resultant message are constructed as
   follows:

   The "In-Reply-To:" field will contain the contents of the "Message-
   ID:" field of the message to which this one is a reply (the "parent
   message").  If there is more than one parent message, then the "In-
   "Message-ID:" fields.  If there is no "Message-ID:" field in any of
   the parent messages, then the new message will have no "In-Reply-To:"
   field.

   The "References:" field will contain the contents of the parent's
   "References:" field (if any) followed by the contents of the parent's
   "Message-ID:" field (if any).  If the parent message does not contain
   a "References:" field but does have an "In-Reply-To:" field
   containing a single message identifier, then the "References:" field
   will contain the contents of the parent's "In-Reply-To:" field
   followed by the contents of the parent's "Message-ID:" field (if
   any).  If the parent has none of the "References:", "In-Reply-To:",
   or "Message-ID:" fields, then the new message will have no
   "References:" field.

   Note: Some implementations parse the "References:" field to display
   the "thread of the discussion".  These implementations assume that
   each new message is a reply to a single parent and hence that they
   can walk backwards through the "References:" field to find the parent
   of each message listed there.  Therefore, trying to form a
   "References:" field for a reply that has multiple parents is
   discouraged and how to do so is not defined in this document.

>From <URL: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt >.

All sensible mail client understand mail threading, and it is a real
shame if most people use a client that do not.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen