[CinCV TNG] Debugging motion blur

Nicola Ferralis feranick at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 14 18:38:56 CEST 2015

Thanks, Joe. That surely helps. Following on Einar's previous comment, I
think in the very short term we can add some meaningful description in
the manual for Motion Blur. Its current entry is filled with a "FIXME".
While we look into better implementations, fixing the manual seems like
the simplest of things for now.

Patch to follow shortly.
Thanks again,
Nicola

On 4/14/15 11:11 AM, Joe Stewart wrote:
> Einar has the correct answer. I’m not sure that “render effect” was even an option 10 years ago when I made the motion blur plugin. Nonetheless, it might help to clarify the purpose of the plugin and why it needs the camera automation coordinates.
>
> The reason I wrote the plugin is because when I created overlay graphics/SVG titles for my videos and used camera automation to move them directionally around the screen, the resulting output was choppy and irritating to view. So I made the motion blur plugin to take the X/Y camera automation vectors as input and apply a linear blur trailing the direction of the camera automation to fool the eye into thinking it is seeing a more natural motion. This fixed my problem so I contributed the code back to the project (and forgot about it).
>
> What the plugin does NOT do is to try and add motion blur frame-by-frame inside an existing live-action video. If there’s no camera automation, there’s nothing for the plugin to do.
>
> Hope this clears things up a bit.
>
> -Joe
>

>> On Apr 13, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Einar Rünkaru <einarrunkaru at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Figured out at last.
>>
>> On 04/13/2015 03:43 PM, Nicola Ferralis wrote:
>>> I have not modified the plugin in any way.
>>
>> I did not even supect it.
>>
>>> Using, for example (it
>>> happens on any file I use):
>>>
>>> https://bomboloni.mit.edu/other/neuroni/Neuroni.mp4
>>>
>>> the crash happens as follow:
>>>
>>> 1. Open the above file.
>>> 2. select all or a particular segment of the video
>>> 3. Run MotionBlur
>>> 4. the plugin panel opens. Leave settings as they appear (quicktime is
>>> fine).