[CinCV TNG] Debugging motion blur

Joe Stewart jstewart at lurhq.com
Tue Apr 14 17:11:45 CEST 2015

Einar has the correct answer. I’m not sure that “render effect” was even an option 10 years ago when I made the motion blur plugin. Nonetheless, it might help to clarify the purpose of the plugin and why it needs the camera automation coordinates.

The reason I wrote the plugin is because when I created overlay graphics/SVG titles for my videos and used camera automation to move them directionally around the screen, the resulting output was choppy and irritating to view. So I made the motion blur plugin to take the X/Y camera automation vectors as input and apply a linear blur trailing the direction of the camera automation to fool the eye into thinking it is seeing a more natural motion. This fixed my problem so I contributed the code back to the project (and forgot about it).

What the plugin does NOT do is to try and add motion blur frame-by-frame inside an existing live-action video. If there’s no camera automation, there’s nothing for the plugin to do.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

-Joe