[CinCV TNG] Debugging motion blur

Einar R√ľnkaru einarrunkaru at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 10:59:40 CEST 2015

On 13 April 2015 at 22:02, Nicola Ferralis <feranick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, Igor is right. for example, linearblur is a realtime effect as
> motionblur, but it can be applied as a rendering effect with no problem. In
> fact if you follow my steps for motionblur for linearblur, things work just
> fine.

My mistake, you both are right.

> How about just preventing motionblur to be run as a rendering effect? A
> simple workaround is to check is_realtime() in process_realtime. If false,
> than the plugin should not continue (letting the user know of the
> situation). This would be better than a meaningless crash.
>
> I have not texts in hand, but is_realtime() is a property of the current
plugin. For the MotionBlur it is always 1.

The long term goal is to understand how MotionBlur works, create a working
testcase and write a description in manual. Then we can understand why
camera is needed for the plugin. After that it is possible to find
workaround for the problem how to use it in Render Effect case. All other
plugins can be used through 'Render Effect' (I think so), so should
MotionBlur too.

Another (short term) possibility is to creat a plugin propery for example
'is_interactive'. If this property is non zero, the plugin is not shown in
Render Effect menu.

The question is: how behaves MotionBlur during background rendering, batch
rendering and in renderfarm. Do we have more exeptional plugins?

As pointed out by Igor we have similar problem with multichannel and
singlechannel plugins - misuse resulting crashe is possible.

Einar