[CinCV TNG] Grey Cstoration

edouard chalaron e.chalaron at xtra.co.nz
Sun Apr 12 23:22:53 CEST 2015

Hello Nicola et al.,

Eventually tested GreyCstoration :

It does not crash, or I did not manage to crash it during the few tests
I did on 4K 35 mm films.

It is very slow, one can not expect this level of treatment live. I am
usually processing my xmls at night so _to me_ not a problem.

I did test the original soft a couple of years ago in order to find a
degrainer. It is a very efficient piece of code and will replace the
inefficient original denoisers from Cinelerra.

One could argue that ffmpeg has some temporal and spatial denoiser. But
if I understand properly it can only be applied during post processing.
Hence, export takes some time only to realise that eventually it may not
look so good. A matter of trading off time during grading and gain some
for export.

In my previous life of marine seismic data processing we always tried to
get rid of the noise before, for say, an AGC.

IF ANYTHING ... and because it is slow (maybe the code can be optimized
later), a split screen would be welcomed to judge before / after

To me this is a major piece of code, even if it is not a temporal filter.
Thanks so much Nicola !!

Cheers
Ed.