[CinCV TNG] Debugging motion blur

Nicola Ferralis feranick at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 10 00:35:51 CEST 2015

Hi,

Some further insight on this debugging motionblur. Some background first.

1. get_camera is called in plugins/motionblur/motionblur.C in lines
356-360.

2. this is defined in pluginclient.c as follow:

void get_camera(float *x, float *y, float *z, int64_t position)
{
	server->get_camera(x, y, z, position, direction);
}

3. The parent call in server is defined in pluginserver.C:

void PluginServer::get_camera(float *x, float *y, float *z,
	int64_t position, int direction)
{
	plugin->track->automation->get_camera(x, y, z, position, direction);
}

4. Now, this is where the crash takes place. If I define a debugging
string in get_camera call that is defined in automation.C, I don't see
it printed, meaning that the crash takes place not in the get_camera
call in automation.C for for some reason in plugin->track->automation

For example, I can replace get_camera with something else, by retrieving
for example:

plugin->track->automation->get_length();

and printing the return value. get_length is also defined in
automation.C. The crash still takes place (not sure how) not in
get_length(), but I guess in defining plugin->track->automation. I am
very aware of my limited knowledge here, I hope this can make some sort
of sense.

There is more. The method in the get_camera call in automation.C is
empty. This means that get_camera shouldn't do absolutely nothing. In
fact if you remove it completely, the crash doesn't obviously occur, but
nothing happens either (no motion blur). Interestingly, an identical
call in vautomation.C has a meaningful method for get_camera, that I
would think it should be also replicated in automation.C as well. One
could copy over the short piece of code in get_camera in vautomations.C
into the blank get_camera call in automation.C, but that obviously
doesn't prevent the crash, which, as I stated above, takes place
*before* the get_camera is ever started.

What i am trying to say is that the crash takes place immediately before
get_camera is initiated in automatic.C. If that crash is solved, there
may still be an issue with the blank call in get_camera.

One last thing: this issue is only present in motionblur because it is
the only plugin that uses get_camera. In fact, it is the only piece of
code in cinelerra that uses it at all.

I am not sure how to proceed from here. I hope Hannes and Einar would
have some comments/suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Nicola