[CinCV TNG] 10 bits screens

Sean M. Pappalardo pegasus at renegadetech.com
Thu Apr 2 18:35:52 CEST 2015

On 04/01/2015 08:50 PM, edouard chalaron wrote:
> I'd need an advice: I came across a 10 bits screen 4K Viewsonic Vx2880

First, I want to point out that the usefulness of a 10-bit /display/ is
questionable at best, since the human eye can tell "only" about 8-10M
colors apart (http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/JenniferLeong.shtml)
so 24-bit color (which the product info refers to as 8-bit, meaning 8
bits per primary of course) is already double what the eye can perceive.
(If the monitor has an increased color gamut though, then that's worth
something.)

/Editing/ in greater-than-8-bit-per-primary is another story altogether
though (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/16-bit/) which is
why I'm also interested in the questions you ask. :) But my guess is
that the best thing would be to use 32-bit float for all editing which
can then be down-rendered to whatever display device you have, including
10 bits-per-primary.

Sincerely,
Sean M. Pappalardo