[CinCV TNG] Cinelerra Merging from 4.0 - testing report

Rebecca ⠀ beccatoria at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 2 00:20:54 CEST 2015

Hey guys!

I have also been testing the cinelerra-beta branch!

It is generally good news - most features work well.  Here are the things I have discovered that are causing issues:

1)
 Fade histogram not working correctly.  Fading out works fine.  Fading
back in sometimes results in an issue where there is no interpolation.
It immediately brings the entire track in at 100% rather than fading in
as it should.  This only seems to happen when creating a fade from 0% to
 100%.  For instance, if I were fading in from 0% to 95%, it would work
fine.  Also when testing to see if it was reproducible, a few times it
didn't occur.  The most reliable way to reproduce (this ALWAYS resulted
in the bug for me) was the following:

Create two keyframes at
100% opacity (i.e. completely visible and not at all transparent).
Create a third keyframe between these two.  Pull that down to 0%
opacity.  Playback should then fade out correctly, but snap immediately
to full opacity after the middle keyframe rather than fading back in.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

2)
 NOT a bug, just a change of behaviour due to the merge.  When an effect
 is added, the "on/off" button and the magnifying glass that allows
access to effect parameters shift along the track to remain visible as
you scroll.  However this also means that effects that only take up a
small amount of track no longer have these icons visible.  I think this
way always the case (even in CV) but the length the effect needs to be
for the icons to show up is noticeably longer now.

It's not
really a big issue as the "on/off" and "show" options can be accessed by
 right-clicking.  Personally I'm fine with leaving it and don't think it
 represents a huge interface issue.  But I thought it might be worth
noting in case others disagree.

3) I tested most of the
video effects.  There are a few that I'm really not sure how to test -
C41 for instance, I'm not sure what it's meant to do or how I'd check it
 was working?  Others I don't really understand but can at least test to
 make sure they're doing SOMETHING and not crashing the programme (Find
Object for instance).  I found a few effects that I think are now
broken.  Some may have been broken in CV.  Some definitely weren't:

- Motion blur - doesn't seem to do anything.
- Oil Painting - doesn't seem to be working either.
- Selective Temporal Averaging
 - may or may not be working but grinds the system to an ususeable
halt.  Either have to kill Cinelerra in the terminal or actually reboot
the computer it's so delayed in terms of response.
- Time Average
 - as Selective Temporal Averaging.  Not quite as bad - once actually
got the effects dialogue open, but it's...basically unuseable.  My
computer is an i5, 2.3ghz, 4 gigs of ram.  So it's not a beast by any
means, but I don't think it should be struggling this much with these
effects.
- Time Front - as the previous two time-related
ones, it is ridiculously slow and caused Cinelerra to crash at least
once.  But I did manage to mess around with it and it did seem to be
doing...something. This is what makes me suspect the previous two
effects may also have been working, just ALSO locking up my computer so
much I couldn't test them.  It also seemed to be producing total garbage
 imagery, but I THINK this effect might be designed to work over a huge
length of time and that could be the reason for it not working so well
during testing?
- Translate - change in behaviour I think I
saw discussed on the list already?  Basically just that the In/Out X/Y
parameters now squash rather than move the image.  But I think there's
uncertainty as to whether this is a bug or intended behaviour?
- Title
 - the colour is now messed up.  Only white, yellow, cyan and magenta
work from the colour wheel.  It will show the colour you selected in the
 effects dialogue box, but on the actual track, you'll be stuck with one
 of those four.
- Wave - messed up - the wave is squashed up against the far left side of the image.

4)
 Mask keyframes - as also noted by others.  Interpolation of value and
feathering has been fixed (YAYYYY!).  I do not believe that
interpolation of mode is possible - it's a binary state.  However, a
keyframe image will only appear on the track if a mask point is moved.  If only the feathering or value is changed, then a keyframe is created
 (because interpolation up to that point works), but the little green
icon we know and love fails to appear.  If you select an earlier point
and press play and let it play over the place where the keyframe should be, the keyframe image suddenly appears.

5)
 Bezier curves.  These are mostly working fine, and we are still using
the style of bezier curve introduced in Cinelerra CV rather than HV.  I
will admit I do not work much with this feature so I don't know if this
is a problem that existed previously.  However, I will note that
currently, if you right click a histogram keyframe and choose "tangent
edit" it will either crash the programme or default to "disjoint edit"
instead.  Repeatedly attempting to choose "tangent edit" will eventually
 crash the programme.

6) This isn't really a problem, but might
 be worth noting.  I've never been able to get Cinelerra to render
directly to .dv (and still can't) so I tend to render to .mov or .avi.  I
 had to significantly increase the bitrate of the render to get the same
 level of quality.  However this didn't affect the ultimate file size -
once I increased the bitrate I got a file size about the same as I did
before the merge.  I was always surprised at the quality level I got
from a fairly low bit rate in the original CV so I'm thinking something
probably got fixed here rather than broken.  But I mention it in case anyone else is in the same situation.

That's it for problems.

I'd
 note that the ability to save presets for effects (a feature from 4.0)
is working well.  As is the ability to jump to the next/previous edit.
I'm not aware of any other new features in 4.0 I should have been
looking out for.

Also, a few of the effects that previously
refused to work for me (Find Object and Motion Tracking) now work.  So
that's great!

I tested importing, all basic editing functions
(cutting, pasting, inserting, pasting silence, muting, pasting
keyframes, etc.), moving tracks around, deleting tracks, all histogram
functions (camera, projector, etc.), colour picker, masks, nearly all
the video effects (see above for caveats), overlay modes, and all
transitions.

I tested rendering to a limited degree (because
I've always had limited rendering options in Cinelerra, I essentially
just tested that the options I usually use still work).

I did not test audio effects as I don't use them much and need to stop for the night now.

Great job, guys!  It's really nice to see this work being done.  I hope this is useful testing information.