[CinCV TNG] [CinCV] End of support for Cinelerra Ubuntu PPA

Nicola Ferralis feranick at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 05:02:07 CEST 2014

Well, it seems there is enough needs for it, so I can at least make sure
builds are available for the most current releases, hoping that things
won't break in future releases.

I do have a further comment to make. This has been one of the main
reasons of my disengagement. The development of cinelerra-CV has been
rather inconsistent at best. It's not clear, in other words, what the
roadmap of the CV is, where it wants to go as a software, in addition of
as a community. To me it pretty much look like it's stuck into what it
is now with no future vision.

I re-read the "about" section of the website: it's clearly stated that
CV is a branch of HV, with periodic resync with the HV is ultimately the
goal with custom CV patches. Now, I just don't see that happening.
Furthermore, I don't see any interest in doing that, as the CV now acts
more like a complete fork but without a compelling reason to move
forward. My simple, modest impression, but one that makes maintaining
the software through the advancement of technology (which is what
package maintainer do...) not as engaging as it should be.

So I think, in looking back on the past year or so, a reflection is in
order to see where the project wants to go. It's perfectly fine to stick
with the current state of things, but that should be made clear that no
further serious development is planned and cinelerra CV is a essentially
a community of users around a final product.

My 2c, anyway.

Regards,
Nicola