[CinCV] Announcement from Michael Collins (the new registrant of cinelerra.org)

E Chalaron e.chalaron at xtra.co.nz
Tue Mar 18 21:49:09 CET 2014

I think Michael has a point; nothing happened to Cinelerra cv for how
long ? The simple fact he grabbed the domain shows that nobody was sadly
following up on the project, including me !
A lot of development and efforts (documentation, .deb or rpms) have been
put into the project, there has been at least 2 important (to me)
plugins (blue banana and C41) which have been released and nowhere to be
seen on, for say, packman repos because there is no one to put them into
an official git repo. There is probably more code that is missing out.

Grab the gits : Well really ? I am not a developer and I don't crack a
woody compiling code. I can't bother spending endless hours trying to
figure out how to compile them and why it works on Ubuntu and not Debian
etc... How many people are put off by this step ?  Most people I know
here in Wellington can't bother getting into the code side of things.
They just want a software that works. Why do you think Mac platforms are
so popular for video editing?

Now... what is the point of having several gits with plenty of new code
to be ignored by main distros ??? People are afraid of many cinelerra cv
versions ? Well, it's already done isn't it ?

Conversely if it is to turn the cv version into a commercial venture,
then there is the version from A. Williams  who has been complaining of
being flat broke for the last many years.
So Michael if that's the case and since you seem to know Adam why don't
you work with him on his version ? This is where I don't understand your
interest in the CV project.

Alternative ? there is Kdenlive but nowhere as efficient (no renderfarm,
video specific formats, low end colour correction, crappy stabilisation,
limited colour space etc ..)
As for Lumiera... I hope it's not gonna be obsolete by the time it is
released.
Blender ?? Good luck ...

That was an end user point of view.

Cheers